January 8, 2015

Wedding Update: when things don't go as planned.

My life is not going as planned right now, but most of all the whole wedding business. It has been a while since my last wedding 'update' - and nothing has changed! Except that the location that I thought we had picked is not an option anymore and we are once again starting to look for a new place. Less than 5 months from our wedding day, I should mention.

Here is what happened: a month ago or so we went to try the menu we had chosen. We were really excited for it, as we both love food and loved the idea to have dinner in our future wedding location, and get a little glimpse of what it would look like on the big day. Well, to make it short: the food was horrible. Unfortunately I didn't take pictures, but what should have been an Entrecote with various vegetables and mashed potatoes turned out to be a not particularly good piece of meat with 1 little piece of zucchini, bell pepper and eggplant. It was literally meat with three really really small pieces of vegetable. The rest of the menu was more or less in the same line, and the absolutely worst was the wedding cake, a nightmare consisting of weird cheese cream topped with green glibber. I am not exaggerating when I say that I would be so ashamed to serve this food to my guests.

Call us naive, but we didn't see this coming, as this was one of the more expensive places we had visited. Price in this case clearly does not equal quality. That day, Alberto's parents had accompanied us and his mother made a real scene. I also don't shy away from some constructive criticism, but this woman is dangerous when she gets mad ;) Well turns out it was only the beginning of a long process, trying to get our money back. We had made a pre-payment to make a reservation for our wedding day, and they refused to return the money. Only after increasingly threatening phone calls and even consulting a lawyer, they would finally give in. Until today, we have not received the money because they were oh so busy during the holidays. But well, it can only be a matter of days now.

 Besides that I thought I had found a wedding dress, until my mom flew in to see it with me and let's just say she didn't like it. We went to see some more dresses and there were some that worked for both of us. But somehow my joy and excitement has disappeared between this and the venue disaster and right now I am just miserably asking myself why the heck I should spend so much money for a darn dress. I'm sure the day of our wedding will be great and I'll think this was all worth it, but right now I wish we could live eternally as boyfriend & girlfriend in a romantic relationship without the bureaucratic hassle! ha.

5 comments:

  1. Oh my- I'm so sorry!!! I'm so the wrong gal for this though, if I'm totally honest with you, I hated being engaged- all the planning and stress was just not for me, and we were only engaged 2 1/2 months! I ended up spending like $200 on a dress and for me- that was perfect. It was simple and pretty plain but I will never get it out again, so just didn't mind. Anyway- I know absolutely it will all work itself out and you will find everything you love, but regardless you will married at the end of it- trust me, that's the best part anyway!

    www.hollandsreverie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha, thanks for going through this endless rant :) wow, 2 months is a seriously short engagement time ! we will be engaged 11/2 years in the end ;) yep, I think I'll go for the 200 $ version, too...

      Delete
  2. ohh noo :( So sorry about the venue and the dress!. Best of luck with all your future plans , I just know in the end everything will turn out okay in the end xx

    Caitriona | Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha thanks Vaitriona. I am sure everything will turn out ok, just a little stressed now !

      Delete
  3. ohhhh... it sounds like a lot of stress! Don't worry, everything will turn very good in the end!

    xx, BBB
    www.bangbangblond.com

    ReplyDelete