December 2, 2014

Life lately and a very satisfying and healthy lentil stew :)

So, did you get anything on black Friday or Cyber Monday? After evaluating my economic situation and latest cravings for several days, I decided that there were three things I needed to look out for:
Some awesome riding boots (as featured in my latest "Inspired" post), a long and soft burgundy cardigan and a professional camera for my blog and to document our trips. All of them are investment pieces for me. I know I would be wearing the boots and cardigan a lot and I want nice leather and a wool/cashmere mix. As for the camera, obviously the idea would be to amortize it over many years.Well in the end I spent hours in countless online shops and Amazon and didn't buy anything. I didn't find the cardigan I was looking for and the riding boots that I liked were just a tad too expensive. I am willing to invest but I won't ruin myself for the darn boots ;) As for the camera, the one I want wasn't even on sale. If anyone wants to sell me a used camera feel free to contact me :) The compact camera pictures have to stop.

So what else? My fathers in law used to have a 2nd home at the coast were we went all the time at the weekend, they sold it this summer and I hate my weekends in Barcelona ! Talking about high standards... However, I am glad to report that next weekend we'll make a trip to a village where they are said to have an amazing Christmas market. I am a sucker for these things and can't really believe it exists in Spain (haven't seen many Christmas markets around here), but hoping for a pleasant surprise. And, my mom was here last week and brought me this darling flower wreath. I had fallen in Love with it the last time I was at home and didn't bring it because I had no space in my baggage. Moms  are the best!



Now to the second part of the post, the recipe. In the months before Christmas I don't care much about healthy eating anymore, it's my time of the year to indulge and not care about weight, looks etc. The great side effect is that after Christmas I am craving salads, fruits and healthy life + exercise in general. Well I think this year I started to indulge too early as I am already pretty sick of all the greasy high calorie meals that I usually love. Nevertheless I appreciate a good hot meal that makes me feel full. So lately I have been cooking this lentil stew a lot. I am not saying it is low calorie (actually I have no idea) but it only contains good ingredients and makes me feel really satisfied. Read more about the countless health benefits of Lentils here.


What you need:
  • 1 Italian green pepper
  • Lentils as much as you please, I usually have approx 200 g (let soak overnight)
  • 2 garlic cloves
  • Parsley
  • Natural Tomato Sauce
  • Vegetable Broth (optional)
  • Chorizo/Fuet / similar sausages (this is only for flavor and you need no more than 7-8 thin slices)
  • Olive Oil 
  • Ground red pepper (optional)

Cover the bottom of the pot with a thin layer of olive oil. Roast chopped Parsley, thin Pepper slices and chopped Garlic until Garlic is light golden, be careful not to burn! Add approx. 1/2 of the tomato sauce. The sauce should be natural and have a strong flavor of roasted tomato if possible. Add the Chorizo/Fuet slices and let simmer 2-3 minutes. (I consider myself 90% vegetarian, but sometimes I eat meat if I can get it organic). In my case I add a little bit of ground red pepper, this step is optional. Add the lentils and cover with vegetable broth or water. I prefer vegetable broth. Let simmer on low-medium heat for approx. 40 minutes. This depends from the kind of lentils you got, some might take longer, some shorter. You will have to add broth every now and then, you don't want the final result to be too dry! When you finally take it off , the lentils should be soft and covered with a thick red/brownish sauce. I didn't take a close up picture as this plate doesn't look very attractive, but I promise you'll love it on a cold winter evening and furthermore you can eat it with good conscience.




That's was it for today, hope you have enjoyed the post. Thanks for reading!


2 comments: