November 24, 2014

The grass is always greener...

on the other side. How was your weekend? Mine wasn't exactly eventful, I went thrift shopping on Saturday and on Sunday we went on a little hike, but that's pretty much it. My mom will be here this week and we had to clean our flat... you know how moms are, they wouldn't want to have the impression that their kids live in constant chaos ;)

Here comes my confession: As a heterosexual individual I check out other women way too much. Not with any special intention but always comparing. How is her face/body/hair compared to mine, how do they dress, and so on. Obviously I always focus on girls that I perceive as way superior to myself. Often when walking at the beach with Alberto I'll be like "Hey that girl we just walked by is such a beauty, have you seen her?" He (all weirded out) "Yes but why are you checking out girls?" haha. Here in Spain I stand out a little bit for I have lighter skin and hair and am taller than the average Spanish woman.

And even though my Spanish friends tell me all the time how special green eyes and blonde-ish hair are around here, I find myself secretly dreaming of having tan skin and an incredibly long, shiny black mane. On group pictures I have this faded look on me next to a bunch of darker skinned people with dark eyes and hair. Also, Spanish girls are so lean. Middle Europeans tend to be taller with more muscle and fat mass. And while I have no big issue with my body, I can't help feeling like Hulk next to my Spanish friends with their skinny arms, legs and small shoulders. Often they have an effortless style that I can't imitate , because on my muscular limbs it just won't look the same.




I think this quote above pretty much nails it: comparison is not necessarily bad, but it is way more important to accept and love yourself the way you are! Happy Monday.

4 comments:

  1. Great post- funnily enough I just did a post with the same quote. Maybe it's the time of year that makes us focus on perceived flaws? Anyway- I hear what your saying- and amen to loving ourselves a little bit more!!

    www.hollandsreverie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha maybe you're right and the long dark evenings just invite to overthingk things too much ;) Thanks for your comment! xo

      Delete
  2. Oh sweet girl, you are beautiful!! But you aren't the only one who struggles with these thoughts! My biggest downfall is my skin and I'm constantly envious of the girls I'm surrounded by who have perfect skin! Definitely learning to love myself more... flaws and all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can hear ya sister, skin is a huge insecurity factor. but we also tend to see ourself in a worse light than other people would. Thanks for commenting :) xo

      Delete